The Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at the University of Boumerdes formerly called the National Institute of Electricity and Electronics- INELEC, came into existence as a result of an agreement signed between the National Company for Manufacture and Assembly of Electrical and Electronic Equipment, SONELEC, and Education Development Center, EDC, Newton, Mass., USA. The agreement was signed as early as March 1976, according to the program set forth in the planning study conducted for SONATRACH in March 1974. In 1998, INELEC has been reorganized and became the Electrical and Electronic Engineering Department within the Faculty of Engineering of Boumerdes University with more than 600 enrolled students. The Department continued to work as an American type of higher educational institution, and English was stilled the language of instruction. Efforts were made to adapt the curriculum to the national standards set by the Ministry of Higher Education while keeping the spirit of the INELEC project with the American way of working. From 2010, the Electrical and Electronic Engineering Department became the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineering of Boumerdes University with more than 1000 students currently enrolled. The new INSTITUTE continues to work as an American type of higher educational institution, and English is still the language of instruction.